Hello 2018

Monday 1 January 2018

Hello everyone, 

Firstly: Happy New Year! I hope you all saw in the new year with family and friends around you. I had a lovely quiet evening of drinks chatting with my friends and Mr. GingerSnap :-) 

It's quite hard to believe that 2017 is already over, it was such an exciting year for us. I finished university after 5 years, got my dream job, travelled around the world with the man I love and then we moved to Devon to start a new chapter in our life. At the beginning of last year I thought that with such a busy year ahead I wouldn't have much time for reading and in some ways I was right, in others I was very wrong. The evidence is featured below! 


I set myself the challenge of reading 30 books, which thinking back is very un-ambitious. I ended up reading a phenomenal 113 books, which is more than I ever imagined myself reading! When I say I didn't have much time for reading, I promise I wasn't exaggerating. That fact can be seen in how low my average page length was. Due to lack of time I read a lot of novellas, poetry, plays and Penguin Little Black Classics. I really enjoyed most of the books I read this year and choosing a top 5 feels impossible, but I'll give it a try: 

1. The Truth by Terry Pratchett 
2. The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
3. Within The Sanctuary Of Wings by Marie Brennan
4. Villette by Charlotte Brontë
5. The Reader On The 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent


So now that 2018 has unexpectedly rolled around the corner I am at my usual loss as to what resolutions to make. Every year I find myself scrambling for resolutions and choose ones unreasonable or impossible to achieve. 2018 will be different, I am going to set myself five bookish resolutions not only achievable, but fun to carry out. 

    1. I will try not set myself silly goals and challenges for my reading, they push me into a slump and suck the fun out of it for me. I am only going to take part in challenges I enjoy :-)

  2. 2018 is going to be the year of the big books. I want to read 5 BIG books. Now when I say big, I'm talking over 700 pages! 

3. I would like to read between 10 and 30 (or more, more is good) Penguin English Library titles. This list has so many amazing authors and stories featured, it will be perfect for expanding my knowledge of classics :-) 

 4. I would like to finish reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Last year I made it through just over half and I enjoyed every minute of it. Sherlock, this is your year!

  5. So often I end up reading authors I know and love, leaving me feeling guilty for not exploring new writers. I will remedy this by reading at least 5 books by authors I have never heard of. 

Those are all my sensible resolutions for the next year. I am so looking forward to getting stuck into these and feel like I am already making great strides towards this in today's read. I started and finished Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome today and am planning a review for later this week, so keep your eyes peeled bookworms! 

What have you been reading and what are your resolutions, bookish and non-bookish, for the coming year? Let me know in the comments below :-)

xoxo

P.S. Follow my Facebook here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs