The Sky Is Everywhere - Review

Thursday 15 September 2016

Hello everyone!

As you may already know I love to read anything I can get my hands on, but recently I have been reading a string of heavy books. Now I like a challenge, but there is nothing like a hard to get into book to plunge you deep into a reading slump. In an effort to re-ingite my passion for reading, I picked up The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson as a cover buy. Little did I know it's not an easy read, however, this did not stop me tearing through it. 


The cover of this book drew me in, how could it not? It's stunning! I was expecting a fluffy YA (young adult) book to plough through quickly. Actually, this story is very deep and was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. The story follows Lennie as she comes to grips with the sudden loss of her older sister Bailey. We watch her struggle against tidal waves of grief, bringing out a new self destructive streak. Slowly she begins to look up, seeing the world around her afresh and what she sees is Joe Fontaine. As Lennie learns to live with a broken heart and how falling in love can be so healing, she also learns to look around her and see that others are grieving too, that they need her help and support. 

This book was hard to read because of how realistically it deals with loss. I wish I had read this book a long time ago, I wish it had been around long before it was written. When I was 16, I lost my grandmother and it left me devastated. Like Lennie, I was a total mess. If I had been able to read this book then it would have helped me understand my inner turmoil, control the emotions raging through me. More importantly, it would have taught me to be less selfish. I think this book would have helped me a lot and I hope it helps others now. I would recommend this to any young person dealing with loss or anybody close to them looking for understanding. A definite 4.5 stars for this one.

Have you read this book? Let me know what you thought in the comments below :-) 

xoxo

P.S. Follow my Facebook here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs