Going Nude

Friday 12 August 2016

Hello everyone! 

I know I always go on about how much I love a bright red lip, but in recent months I have really grown to love the subtle tones of a nude lipstick. In the same way people quest for their signature red, others hunt for the ideal nude. Somehow I, much to my purse's despair, have managed to join both quests. So I come to you today with a few tips on how to find the perfect type of nude lipstick for you! 



I can't really advise on all the skin tones and hair colours out there as I can't change my looks at will! However, I can tell you about my four favourites and why I love them, with tips added in where I can. There are four main varieties in my lipstick armoury: natural nude, sheer nude, pinky nude and browny nude. 


Left to right: Patisserie, Beige Rose, Ex-Girlfriend and Alice 

This natural nude is the best one I have been able to find and I'd say the tiny amount left is testimony to how much I love it. This is the Urban Decay nude lipstick from the Gwen Stefani collection in the shade Ex-Girlfriend. I think this colour would suit anyone really, it gives a barely there look, but with a slight shine to it from its moisturising properties. This type of nude is quite easy to match to any skin tone as it the most neutral of all the neutral shades. This type of nude is a key part to anyone's makeup collection, it's so easy to just glide on and look smart! 



The sheer nude is the hardest to pull off, the wrong tone can wash someone out completely! These are the ones to try in the shop before you buy them. When I first saw this lipstick I fell head over heels in love with it! The gorgeous sheer quality of it, with the metallic pink streak running through makes it perfect for me. It helps bring a rosiness to my skin, so for someone who is pale and loving pinks this is ideal, however, I would stay clear if you have a more yellow tone to your skin. Go for this one if you love a fresh faced, rosy look :-) This one isn't readily available anymore, it's the Alice lipstick from the Alice Through the Looking Glass collection by Urban Decay, but in Urban Decay's new Vice relaunch I'm sure you can find something similar. Velvet Teddy by MAC is quite a good dupe for this one too! 



The pinky nude is super fun, I love the matte finish to this particular one. It instantly creates a classic, natural look for both everyday and evening wear. This tone is good for people who have a bit of a tan. So I like to wear this in summer when I have a bit more colour to my cheeks. This lipstick smells like chocolate, which is an added bonus for any chocoholics out there! It is the shade Beige Rose from Bigune. I know here it looks very very pink, but once on it is much more subtle and most definitely a nude! You can see it better in the swatch picture above :-) 



The final type here is the browny nude. This one can also be tricky to pull off, but as long as you find the right balance of brown vs pink for you then you should be grand! I love this shade, it is my everyday work go to. There is a slight shimmer to it which means it looks put together without being too in your face. I like the way this shade is buildable so you can amp it up a little bit if you want to wear this lippy on an evening out :-) This is the much revered Patisserie from MAC. Nobody does nudes like MAC so if you are looking for your shade I would definitely search there first, their lipsticks are both affordable and part of a huge range, so there really is something for everyone! 



What is your favourite nude shade? Let me know in the comments below :-) 

xoxo

P.S. Follow my Facebook here

6 comments :

  1. I can relate at 100% to what you say. I wear bright lipsticks most of the times but now I decided to go on a quest to find my perfect nude lipstick, I've been having such a hard time because my skin is so yellow toned I can't wear any kind of pink lipstick that isn't a super bright fucsia! But now I know about Patisserie, I love how it looks, I can't believe I had never seen it before! Thank you so much for this post, it's so helpful!

    Cy | Dulce de Mango

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could help with this :-) Patisserie sounds like the ideal lipstick for you, plus it is super moisturising so won't be harsh on your lips during the dry months of summer!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I've never been a bright lipstick kinda of girl i've always played it safe with nude and pinks. I've always wanted to try Macs Patisserie. My favourite nude lipsticks are Macs Velvet Teddy and Kate Moss's '08'.

    <3
    perfectfixations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Velvet Teddy is a really good choice :-) I'd recommend checking out Urban Decay's relaunch of the Vice lipsticks, they have 100 different shades so you can definitely find some perfect shades for you!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love the Pinky nude.And I love your post, you write very good.

    New post at --> http://badassvampire.blogspot.rs/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs